The first school was established in Salonika in 1904 in order to meet the personnel needs of the gendarmerie. Education and training activities were carried out to train Gendarmerie officers in this school.
After the declaration of the Second Constitutional in 1908 and the arrival of the Army of Action to Istanbul, the Gendarmerie Officer School in Thessaloniki was transferred to the Yıldız Palace and the school continued its educational activities here since 1910.
The Gendarmerie Officer School, which provides education in buildings in various districts of Istanbul, moved to Ankara in 1922 with the same organization and started trainings in Etlik.
The school building in Etlik was inadequate over time. As a school, a building that is now used as a secondary school in Izmit was found appropriate, and the school was transferred to Izmit in 1922, where it operated for two years. The school was transferred to the Ebuzziya Mansion in Konya near the station in 1924, because of the fact that this building was also unable to meet the needs.
In 1930, Gendarmerie Officer School was abolished with the Law No. 1706. Student resources in the school's old laws and regulations were completely removed. Since 1935, the gendarmerie officers' needs were started to be met by military officers graduated from the Military Academy.
It was considered necessary to open a new service school in which the gendarmerie professional knowledge was gained in order to provide education and training appropriate to the characteristics of the profession to the gendarmerie officers who graduated from the Military Academy. The Gendarmerie Officer School, which will serve this purpose, is planned to start operating in Ankara Gençlik Street in a common building to be used with the Police Institute.
29 officers who graduated from the Military Academy in 1935 were assigned to the gendarmerie class, and these officers completed their education and training in the Gendarmerie General Command Building since the construction of the school was not finished. The main building of the school was completed and put into service in 1937, and the second period gendarmerie officers had been teaching in this building since October 1937.
On April 24, 1979, the Gendarmerie Officer Training School in Anıttepe was moved to the Güvercinlik Barracks, which was merged with the Gendarmerie NCO Preparation and Service Schools Command and was named as the Gendarmerie School Command.
In 1997, the Gendarmerie Officer Service School was moved from Güvercinlik to Beytepe Şehit Korg. İsmail SELEN Barracks.
In accordance with Article 13 / A added to the Law No. 2803 of the Decree Law No. 669 published in the Official Journal dated 31 July 2016, the Gendarmerie and Coast Guard Academy was established by abolishing the Gendarmerie Schools Command.
In this context, an organization was launched to train officers within the Officer Training Center (OTC) and the Faculty.
NONCOMMISSIONED OFFICER AND SPECIALIST GENDARMERIE SCHOOL
In 1904, Thessaloniki School of Gendarmerie Patrol Commanders was opened next to the Gendarmerie Officer School to train the gendarmerie non-commissioned officers.
After the announcement of the Second Constitutional period in 1908, the number of the Gendarmerie Patrol Commanders Schools was increased, and a school similar to the School of Thessaloniki Gendarmerie Patrol Commanders was established in the center of each Renovation Department.
In 1913, Recruit Training Schools (Efrad-ı Cedide) and Gendarme Patrol Commanders Schools were united in the Gendarmerie Training Regiments and continued their activities until the start of the war of independence.
After the declaration of the Republic, the Gendarmerie Patrol Commanders Schools, which were closed in the years of the war of independence, started operating within the Recruit Training Regiment Schools in Istanbul, Çanakkale, Kayseri, Adana, İzmir, Giresun, Kars and Diyarbakır. Each of the battalions of the Recruit Training Regiment Schools trained the gendarmerie patrol commanders. Gendarmerie Patrol Commanders Schools established in Bitlis, Bursa, Edirne, Ankara, Konya, Denizli, Maraş and Sivas have trained only patrol commanders apart from Gendarmerie Schools.
On July 02, 1932, Recruit Training School Regiments were abolished and all the schools that raised the gendarmerie non-commissioned officers based on this resource were closed and a Gendarmerie Non-commissioned Vocational School based on one-year education was opened in Ulus, Ankara. The soldiers who were enthusiastic about being gendarmerie who were discharged from the army were taken to this school. After six months of vocational training, those who were successful were sent to their troops as gendarmerie non-commissioned officers. On 02 December 1932, the duration of the school was extended to two years, the first class was opened in Istanbul Maltepe, and in 1935 both classes were combined in Istanbul Maltepe.
The second class of the Gendarmerie Vocational School, located in Istanbul Maltepe on 01 October 1937, was transferred to Ankara in 1941.
In 1940, a Preparation Class was opened for six months in order to ensure better training of the gendarmerie non-commissioned officers; however, this practice was enden in 1942.
In 1945, a 3-year Gendarmerie Warrant Officer Preparation Secondary School was opened for the Gendarmerie NCO School, but this school continued its activities until 1953. The student resource of the school was composed of primary school graduates and students from middle schools.
Developing and changing social conditions, in addition to the active gendarmerie positions consisting of officers and non-commissioned officers, revealed the need for an specialist gendarmerie class. The Specialist Gendarmerie Sergeant School, which was opened to train the specialist gendarmerie class that will carry out the law enforcement service professionally, operated in Emirdag between 1961-1963. At least one primary school graduate, willing and successful soldiers were admitted to this school, and after one year of education and training, they graduated as a specialist gendarmerie sergeant, but the continuity of the graduation was not ensured.
The first and second grades of the Gendarmerie NCO School, which maintained its education for two years until 1966 and three years from 1966 to 1972, continued its activities in Afyonkarahisar / Emirdağ until 1970.
In 1970, Gendarmerie NCO School started teaching in new service buildings in Güvercinlik, students were taken by an exam among middle school graduates.
According to the amendment made on August 09, 1972, Gendarmerie NCO Preparatory School, which was renamed as Gendarmerie Officer Preparation and Service Schools Command, was a three-year school, and students from middle and their equivalents graduates and high school and their equivalents intermediate classes were taken by exam.
Upon the re-establishment of the Specialist Gendarmerie class in 1988, Ankara Specialist Gendarmerie School and Emirdağ Specialist Gendarmerie School were put into operation.
Gendarmerie NCO Preparatory School, which constitutes the source of the Gendarmerie NCO Service School, was closed in 1991.
From 1992, only students from specialist gendarmerie sergeants started to be taken to the Gendarmerie NCO Service School, and in 1997, a certain percentage of students were recruited from the civilian source.
In 1997, Ankara and Emirdağ Specialist Gendarmerie Schools were reunited and transferred to Ankara / Beytepe Gendarmerie Schools Command.
In February 1999, Gendarmerie NCO Service School, which was located in Ankara Güvercinlik, also moved to Beytepe. The Gendarmerie NCO Service School has been transformed into a Gendarmerie NCO Vocational School from the 2003-2004 academic year and the education period has been extended to two years. Also; Gendarmerie NCO Basic Course where students to be provided from the source of faculty and vocational school will receive education and training for one year, was activated on September 01, 2003 within the Gendarmerie Schools Command.
On March 03, 2003, the education and training of women NCOs was started at the Gendarmerie Schools Command..
Specialist Gendarmerie School was closed in 2012.
The Gendarmerie Schools Command was abolished and the Gendarmerie and Coast Guard Academy was established in accordance with Article 13 / A added to the Law No. 2803 of the Decree Law No. 669 published in the Official Journal dated 31 July 2016. In this context, an organization was initiated to train NCOs within the NCO Training Center (NCOTC) and Vocational High School (VHS).